Job Vacancy: Coordinator, Alberta Green Economy Network (AGEN)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta (preferred, but some flexibility within Alberta)
Duration: 6 month part-time contract (17 hours per week) with 3 month probationary period and possibility of contract renewal with full-time contract
Application Deadline: September 20, 2017
The Alberta Green Economy Network (AGEN) is a network of ~45 labour, non-profit, community, green business, and First Nations partners that works to support Alberta’s transition to a low-carbon economy. AGEN coordinates the joint efforts of its diverse network of members, supporters and allies to run public education and advocacy programs, submit policy recommendations to municipal and provincial government bodies, and foster relationships between diverse stakeholders within the green economy.
The Coordinator reports to the AGEN Steering Committee. In his/her role, the Coordinator provides ongoing leadership and support to the network while coordinating all programs, research and policy development, communications, membership engagement, and funding development for the organization.
1) Work with AGEN members and partners to develop and implement programs that support AGEN’s vision and mandate.
2) Work to deepen engagement and broaden the membership of AGEN on an ongoing basis.
3) Coordinate research and draft policy recommendations to develop and support AGEN’s stance on various green-economy issues.
4) Develop all communications strategies and materials to support AGEN’s programs.
5) Manage all of AGEN’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook) and online tools (website).
6) Represent AGEN at meetings and other events with the public, government officials, media personnel, funders, and partnering organizations.
7) Plan and execute bi-annual network-wide meetings and presentations for all AGEN members.
8) Plan and execute bi-monthly meetings and/or calls with AGEN Steering Committee members.
9) Manage all AGEN finances, write funding/grant applications, and secure network funding.
10) Other duties as required.
Required Skills & Competencies
1) Knowledge of current governmental policies and programs in Alberta surrounding green economy issues like energy efficiency, renewable energy, and climate change.
2) Demonstrated commitment, knowledge and passion for environmental issues.
3) Experience coordinating diverse groups, allies and collaborators from different backgrounds.
4) Knowledge of campaign techniques, strategies and practices and the principals of social movement and engagement organizing.
5) Proven skill in developing communication strategies and materials.
6) Experience with grant writing and/or other fundraising techniques to raise funds for an organization.
7) High level of professionalism while representing an organization, managing conflict, and maintaining work relationships.
8) Ability to work independently, establish priorities, and proceed with objectives in a work environment with limited supervision.
9) Ability to handle a varied, busy workload with multiple competing priorities/tasks
10) Organized and detail-oriented, especially with administrative aspects of managing an organization such as tracking finances, recording meeting minutes, managing databases, and responding to communications from individuals.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
AGEN embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs and desires of Canada’s diverse communities.
Please send your resume and cover letter to info@albertaGEN.ca with the subject line “Application for AGEN Coordinator.”
We thank all applicants, but only those invited for interviews will be contacted. Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by September 25 to set up an interview, and should be available to interview sometime between September 27 and 30 via phone, Skype, Google Hangouts or in-person meeting.